Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Got a 2006 Kia Rio. It sometimes won't start or will start…

Customer Question
Got a 2006 Kia...

Got a 2006 Kia Rio. It sometimes won't start or will start and immediately cut off in idle. It also has cut off when driving at slow speeds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery is fine connection isn't corroded. Do think I have a short in wiring somewhere. Or wondering if it could be a sensor also? It won't code and the problem doesn't occur when we have it looked at of course.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I'm not fixing it. Trying to figure out what needs to be fixed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. It's my wife's car so that's all I know.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

I would check the throttle body, maf and iac if your nott getting any codes, clean and inspect those and do a idle relearn

Anything else I should check?

thats about it for the base stuff, how long has it been since you have done a full tune up ?

About 6 months ago

wouldnt hurt to inspect plugs and coil boots for arcing and reapply dielectric grease

hows it coming?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician