Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I replaced the radiator and upper and lower hoses in a 2003

Customer Question

I replaced the radiator and upper and lower hoses in a 2003 Kia Sedona with a 3.5L V-6. The vehicle is still overheating but not losing antifreeze. Should I try replacing the thermostat?
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: Brand new hoses and 50/50 mix of antifreeze.
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm doing it myself. The old radiator was leaking so I put in a new one, but the gauge on the instrument panel goes all the way to the max.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't tried anything else, but both fans are working.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions to help you better. I read your notes and ready to help.

these are things that can cause over heating. [1] thermostat, [2] bad rad cap, not holding proper pressure, [3] Radiator -loose or missing cooling fins , check the bottom fins, [4] cooling fan not coming on or if clutch type not turning properly, [5] head gasket leaking compression.

So the first thing to do is a visual of the radiator cooling fins, and if it is loosing coolant. If those check ok then replace the rad cap and thermostat. If still overheats then do a block test for leaking head gasket.

hear is what to look for if suspecting head gasket and the tool to check for that. Bubbles or foam in the coolant , make sure is full to the neck.

Hope this gives you a place to start to solve this issue and if you need further help let me know or please take the time to rate my service . Thank you for using JUST ANSWER.