Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2014 Kia Rio, instrument panel lights are always on.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Kia
9/15/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Did you mean instrument cluster where the gauges are?

Are you planning to do the electrical diag to figure this out or take the car somewhere?

the main instrument cluster, speedo, rpm, odo, etc. There is a sensor that detects how bright the ambient light is. If it's light enough, the cluster lights should not be illuminated. I would like to diagnose this myself if possible. I'm pretty handy. Have checked all the fuses that I think the problem could be. This is a new issue with the vehicle. When the car is on or running, the cluster lights stay illuminated. I hope this helps you..

This is a concern occurring from within the instrument cluster. The cluster and the rest of the things in the car get illuminated for night driving with the headlights on from the same circuit. Since the other things are not affected that means the cluster has a circuit board short that is causing it to illuminate on its own.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

ChrisWhile I value your response, I'm not 100% convinced this is the issue. The cluster lights are just fine when the headlights are on. I am even able to control the brightness. When the lights are not on, and the ambient light on the inside of the car reaches a certain level of darkness, then the cluster lights are supposed to come on. Mine go to max bright as soon as the car is running, no matter how bright the ambient light is. Is that little "button" in the center of the dashboard near the windshield a sensor ? Could it be the culprit ?

Would the wire diagrams help so you can see how this circuit works or I can opt out and get you back on the waiting list to see if another wants to pick up this question.

Please put me back on the waiting list. Thank You !!

opting out now

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician