Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

I brought it in to be serviced yesterday. idler pulley needs

Customer Question

i brought it in to be serviced yesterday. idler pulley needs to be replaced..now all of a sudden today my windows and wipers are sluggish and not functioning properly
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: no I havent I wouldnt even know where to look but I am concerend that something was done inadvertantly and I am going to pay the price for it..I am taking it back today to hae them check
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2013 kia sorento
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no..I brought it to the dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes..They ordered an idler pulley..that was the original problem..now it seems car is making more noises after they fussed with it...I am scared something more is messed up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, what idler pulley? a pulley for the serpentine belt? also, does the vehicle start ok? run ok? does everything else work ok? what symptoms came up indicating and idler pulley

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure..but on the way to drop off car..all lights on dash lite up..and i could not put the car in park. Mechanic had to remove key. What the heck happened. He said this was seperate from idler oulley. I believe its to the serpentine belt
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

This is difficlut to be 100% but from my end not being there? each and EVERY symptom you have lised leads to a low/weak battery due to not being recharged properly. In order for that to happen? the belt broke, or is slipping etc, So, if they say idler pulley for the belt? then? it all adds up, the belt was not spinning things like alternator and the alternator was not charging battery properly. You need to ask more questions of them, idler pulley? on order? then these symptoms? tellsme the serpentine belt is loose or broke, Its not charging the battery. Now, sure a bad alternator is possible or even bad battery but low volts will in fact cause ALL the symptoms you have

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had the battery replaced..so its brand new. I am thinking its what you are saying. if the car started..thats battery power..to keep it running and functioning,,that is alternator..so that makes more sense. This started with wipers and windows being sluggish
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

things will get sluggish if the battery becomes like 11 volts rather than 12 but will start a few times as well. Everything goes from idler pulley to belt to charging then to weak battery so I feel it is serpentine belt related and idler pulley is part of that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can only hope that this is what they say. Do you think that it will be covered under a kia warranty
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

no wear items are not covered on KIa warranty or any other for that fact like brakes, belts, etc but, the dealer may be willing to work with you. Just be sure to ask questions going on what I sent you. If only say a pulley or belt? this is minimal cost wise, well not real low but surely not real high at all