Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Well when I bought the car used off a lot it was quiet at…

Customer Question
Well when I bought...

Well when I bought the car used off a lot it was quiet at 156000 kms. 5 months into it I noticed a bit of a ticking noise when I accelerated and then went away at a certain speed. Today I went to make a high speed pass on a car and the engine was making a loud top end knock. I had to push on gas pedal all the away to keep going. There was plenty of oil, 5w-20. The noise is on top end. Is this a bad lifter? I can fix if I know what the problem is. Thanks Bill

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It is coming from top end. This has been off and on for 5 months but was bad today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2009 Kia rondo 2.4 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rondo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I plan to fix myself but have not tried anything yet

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Kia
9/13/2017
Kia Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 11 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. sounds like you may be having oil volume and pressure problem replacing the hydraulic lifter may not solve the problem . first you need to make sure you are using OEM oil filter and the right motor oil according to the manual on your vehicle , if problem continues then you will need to have an oil pressure test done to make sure the pump is delivering the right volume and pressure to the head.

my suggestion is to do an oil change using an original factory oil filter and good brand oil. then see if the problem is fix if not then you need to have an oil pressure test and if it pass the test then you can go ahead and replace the lifter.