Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a 2005 Kia Sportage V6 2.7L. I was driving up the

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Sportage V6 2.7L. I was driving up the interstate and lost acceleration, and then as I was coasting down the off ramp, the car totally died. I have been having problems with the battery dying for the last week or so. There radiator hose has a large hole blown out right by where it attaches to the thermostat. The battery will not hold a charge. Any suggestions what could possibly be wrong?
JA: How old are the hoses? And just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: Hoses are original and yes you can see the hole. It's almost the size of a golf ball.
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes my boyfriend is going to attempt to fix it. All we have tried so for is to crank it, and it sounds like the starter is dragging.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should about cover it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

So it sound like you already know what you have to do right? there is no way that car is going to run with out a functioning cooling system and battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have changed out the battery for a fully charged one and reattached the radiator hose, the starter still sounds like it is dragging. Any suggestions?
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

the hose still have he hole in it? and you would just ant to start checking voltages, do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No more hole in the radiator hose, and no I don't have a volt meter.
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

without the voltmeter we would just be guessing but if you have a good battery and it was starting before and not so much now you could need a starter