Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2005 Kia Sportage V6 2.7L. I was driving up the…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Kia Sportage V6 2.7L. I was driving up the interstate and lost acceleration, and then as I was coasting down the off ramp, the car totally died. I have been having problems with the battery dying for the last week or so. There radiator hose has a large hole blown out right by where it attaches to the thermostat. The battery will not hold a charge. Any suggestions what could possibly be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

Hoses are original and yes you can see the hole. It's almost the size of a golf ball.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes my boyfriend is going to attempt to fix it. All we have tried so for is to crank it, and it sounds like the starter is dragging.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should about cover it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Kia
9/11/2017
Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So it sound like you already know what you have to do right? there is no way that car is going to run with out a functioning cooling system and battery?

I have changed out the battery for a fully charged one and reattached the radiator hose, the starter still sounds like it is dragging. Any suggestions?

the hose still have he hole in it? and you would just ant to start checking voltages, do you have a volt meter?

No more hole in the radiator hose, and no I don't have a volt meter.

without the voltmeter we would just be guessing but if you have a good battery and it was starting before and not so much now you could need a starter