Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I rented the van yesterday--no owners manual. I can't get…

I rented the van...

I rented the van yesterday--no owners manual. I can't get the back door to open. Is there an interlock I'm missing?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Brand new Kia sedona

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sedona?

2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its rented. Im not fixing it. I want to know how to open the back door. The side doors work fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes. I rented it yesterday. Should I take it back and get another one?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure

8/15/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Try pushing unlock twice on the remote or door lock interior electrical button then see if it will open.If it still does not open there is a chance that there is a fault with the rear door lock/actuator.I have seen rentals abused and this rear door can be damaged to where the lock/latch is at fault needing replaced.But try to hit unlock twice first to see if it then unlocks and opens.If it still will not then you can call the rental company and let them know as they may know of a trick to open it or may swap it out with another for you.But they do need to know if it does not open this way they do not charge you for damage thinking you had caused the issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

That didn't do the trick--using the remote button. Is there another way to open the door besides the remote?

On some models there is a key cylinder at the rear door you can use the key to turn and open it but this is only an option on some models.You may also have a release button at the rear door to use to open it.But if you do not have these or if you do and they do not work as well then there is an issue with the rear door and it may be the latch itself at fault.

Look at the window and lock switches inside the vehicle on the drivers side and see if there is a rear door lock out button that maybe switched on as well.Some models also have this option.

Being a 2017 model some of our info is limited here to tell if your model has these features so this does need checked before returning it to see if it is something simple needing done at all.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
I looked at all these possibilities before going online to ask. I don't see any lockout buttons or switches any where. I give you 5 stars for prompt responses telling me I'm not an idiot.

O.k.,I wasnt sure if these were checked or not so I just wanted to make sure.

If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician