Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Got a problem with the clutch on a 2008 Sportage. Manifested

Customer Question

Hi....got a problem with the clutch on a 2008 Sportage. Manifested itself over the last two days. Hard to get into gear....rather than slide into gear, need to apply fair pressure to get it to engage. Best way I can describe it is that it seems the pedal needs to go further down to fully disengage the clutch. Wondered if there is any adjustment available at the engine end of things as I've adjusted the pedal to no avail?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No slipping....just hard work to get the stick into the different gears
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm happy to have a go, yes. Only tried from the pedal end as above.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thats about it thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JUST ANSWER my name is ***** ***** to assist you to your satisfaction. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a few questions before we proceed.

When you triy to shift gears , does it seem to grind the gears and is it in all gears or just one or two?

Unfortunately there is only one adjustment and that's the one you tried but it is for pedal height not slave cylinder travel. If it is not slipping that's one good thing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. When changing gear it is worse for 1st and 2nd. And yes, there is occasion when it will grind slightly but not all the time. Pedal is right to the floor. There is no slip and no drag either. It feels like if the pedal could go another 10mm all would be good if that makes sense.

All though there is no adjustment for that you can try bleeding the system and measuring the fork travel. I am suspecting the syncros in the trans mission are worn. These are the rings between the gears inside that help moving from one gear to the other by matching speeds.If you drop some gear oil from the transmission you may see some yellow or brassy metal particles and that would indicate that very thing.

I just sent a description of what and how those rings work in your transmission.