sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

It keeps cutting off while I'm driving I can't go two blocks

Customer Question

It keeps cutting off while I'm driving I can't go two blocks down the road without it cutting off
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2001 kia optima
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just this morning I had diagnostics ran on it and the mechanic said it was the egv valve well that was replaced this morning the car ran good for about an hour while running errands and now its cutting off again
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: There's an 142,853 miles on the car I have a slow oil leak
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing the engine to die and it's going to require some testing to determine what is going on. If the EGR issue has been repaired and no other fault codes are currently setting then it's very likely that you're losing fuel pressure rather than spark. What I would recommend is reading codes again to ensure that nothing related is setting currently. If there are no codes then the next step will be to see if it's missing spark if you're able to catch it in a period where it won't restart, or you could monitor fuel pressure while the problem is happening to see if it is dropping off. If so then power and ground at the pump would need to be tested to determine whether the problem is the pump itself or an outside electrical issue.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm satisfied with that answer I was also told the same by another mechanic thank you

You're welcome!

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your vehicle!