Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

The "esc off" light is staying illuminated, exactly what I…

Customer Question
The "esc off" light...

The "esc off" light is staying illuminated

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Exactly what I said, the car is 2009 sportage, with a electronic stability control toggle switch. the instrument panel indicator light which reads "ESC Off" is remaining illuminated regardless ow whether or not I press the button

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to work on the car myself, but I'm not sure of the nature of the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Kia
8/4/2017
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the light is staying on all the time it is because the ABS module has seen a failure that will prevent proper ESC operation and has set fault codes. It's possible that the issue could be with the base ABS system but if this is the only light coming on then it's most likely due to a failure of an ESC specific component such as the steering angle sensor or yaw sensor.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Are the steering angle and/or yaw sensor parts that I can reasonably replace myself? Will a standard OBDII scanner give me the correct fault codes?

Whether or not you can replace the parts yourself depends on your personal capabilities, equipment and comfort level. These are intermediate level repair.

A generic OBDII code reader will just be able to communicate with the engine controller. At a minimum an ABS code reader will be needed.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician