Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have an 2008 kia optima and today the key will not turn at…

Customer Question
I have an 2008...

I have an 2008 kia optima and today the key will not turn at all and the steering wheel is locked

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Yes and it did work earlier today doing that when the valet was going to bring my car, but then I made another stop and now wheel does not move

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing it is just where i left it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is the only problme

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Kia
8/2/2017
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have not checked for a dead or weak battery this needs done to see if this is a battery issue here.If this is or was done already and the battery was found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

they say battery is good, however voltage regulator shows as bad. Would that cause the key not to turn in the ignition

I apologize for the delay.

The voltage regulator wont cause this issue with the key but it can cause charging issues.I would have the voltage regulator replaced.

As for the key since voltage is good this can be a fault with the steering lock needing replaced or possibly a fault with the ignition cylinder needing replaced.I would have these checked into to locate if one is found to be at fault needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician