Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2005 kia optima 6 cyl. stopped at the store, when I got back…

Customer Question
2005 kia optima 6...

2005 kia optima 6 cyl. stopped at the store, when I got back in it wouldn't crank. Had it towed to a shop who said the timing belt broke. I tried many times to get it to start.....did this seal its fate?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

Hard to complain about a car with 250,000 miles on it. I don't think it had ever been changed....but I can check

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I was in the N. Ga mtns.......outside of cell coverage.....had to get a ride just to be able to call tow service....don't know the folks at the shop he took it to in a very small town. Fella there said it usually means valves, head, etc all bad, but he hasn't broken into it.....just saw that the belt was broken.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Uh........I did catch one trout, nonetheless.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Kia
7/31/2017
Kia Mechanic: Ron Z., - Kia Tech - replied 11 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

When you were trying to start the engine, did it sound like it was turning over a bit faster than normal?