Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a 2004 Kia Sorento. Fuel gauge shows full weather I'm

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Kia Sorento. Fuel gauge shows full weather I'm full or not. Shut off engine gauge goes to 1/4 tank for a second or two , then goes to empty. Changed fuel sender but not helping
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts and runs well. Fuel consumption is the same
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed fuel sender, the last one was readind erratic and the low fuel light was comming on with fuel in tank and reading 1/4 to 1/2
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, i'm out of ideas
Category: Kia
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. When you turn the key to the run position does the fuel gauge do its normal sweep?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It goes right up to full, I have only about 1/2 tank
when I shut car off gauge goes to 1/4 and sits there for about 1 to 2 seconds then to empty
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a schematic of fuel wireing diagram?

on the sweep it should go to full then back down to 0 then to the level of gas thats in the vehicle.

of course I do, please standby

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my car has never done that kind of sweep. On starting it would just go from empty to however much gas I have in tank.

ok. heres a wiring diagram. it goes from the pump/sending unit to the computer at position 27 of connector B-01C

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do you think of my symptoms?

I think you need to check for continuity and for high resistance of the wiring between the computer and sending unit. just to check the integrity of that part of the circuit

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok , I'll have to try in morning.
To be clear, I'm checking green wire?

yes you are.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you
If I have more questions, can I still ask on this bill.
also , can you just run thru procedure for checking this circuit

yes you can still ask questions for as long as you'd like. just get with me when you are ready tomorrow.

hows it going?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you tell me how to check this circuit? Can I check continuity while it's still in car?

you disconnect the fuel pump sending unit. you disconnect the connector at the pcm. you put one meter lead on the green wire in the fuel pumps connector and the other lead in position 27 of connector b-01c of the pcm, turn the meter to ohms and see what the reading is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pcm is located behind right side of dash. this would be passenger side, correct?

correct

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
11:30 pm here, I will try to check in morning

ok, same time here

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
out of frustration I put the old fuel sender back(both old and new check out fine. I did find my ECM connector in a puddle of water. Cleaned the connectors. The only thing I can think of, is a bad ground. Not sure of the locations of the G21 and G29 ground connections. Do you have any idea? One of them is supposed to be behind the right tail light assembly according to the wire diagram. The gauge did move just below full. After filling fuel tank, it"s reading full again.Question: resistance gets higher on lower float reading and lower resistance when full. So a bad ground should make gauge read like it has less fuel not more. Does this make any sense?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
FYI the tank took 8.5 gallons to fill. Gauge went from slightly below full to over full

When you found the ecm connector in water, did any penetrate inside of the connector?

all you need to do is to check the connector for good grounds and if they are good, dont worry about where g21 or g29 is.