sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Key wont turn, Worn key perhaps. Yes i can turn the wheel,

Customer Question

Key wont turn
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Worn key perhaps. Yes i can turn the wheel, though tough. I have locked the wheel, and unlocked it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2008 lx
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Wd40, graphite, disconnecting the battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the steering column isn't locked in a way that it's binding the linkage in the column then this is most likely being caused by a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. The permanent repair would be to replace the lock cylinder but you may be able to get the key to turn again temporarily.

Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and run it in and out quickly several times, repeat the process.

Then insert the key fully and give it a few good taps on the end. This will often jar loose a stuck tumbler.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Replaced cylinder. Other advice did not help. That's 9 years in the southwest for ya.

If you were able to get it to turn using the procedure I mentioned the permanent repair was still to replace the lock cylinder. I'm glad you got it repaired.