doctor-d
doctor-d, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, Auto Shop Owner
5480360

My Kia Optima won't turn on, the key won't turn, The key is

Customer Question

My Kia Optima won't turn on, the key won't turn
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The key is fine, I can turn the steering wheel about 2 inches to the right but that's it
JA: What year is your Optima?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried turning the steering wheel left and right and jiggling the key in the ignition with my foot on the brake
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That hasn't worked, and I've tried lubricating the key and ignition with WD 40
Category: Kia
Expert:  doctor-d replied 2 months ago.

Looking outside at the vehicle, What direction are your front wheels pointing? Are they turned which way, right or left?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The wheels are straight
Expert:  doctor-d replied 2 months ago.

ok,

Well the 1st thing to try is a good 2nd key, hopefully a spare that has got little use.

If thats not avail, Get a new key cut at the dealer from your key code. DO NOT duplicate your current key as the wear will duplicate right to the new key. Keys are designed soft, as they are much , much cheaper to replace then ign locks. If the key is not your issue then ignition lock will be your repair needed. Continued use of a worn key will eventually destroy the lock as well, It can only absorb so much as in metal fragments.

Expert:  doctor-d replied 2 months ago.

And I'm assuming you can pull the key out right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been using a spare key for about a year now because I lost my original set of keys but I'll get a new one to see if that works. And yes, the key goes in and out of the ignition just fine it just doesn't turn.
Expert:  doctor-d replied 2 months ago.

ok, a new dealer key. Don't let them duplicate it, make them cut from your code (VIN#), otherwise it wont help at all.

We had this problem all the time, BUT the dealer would much rather sell you a $400 ign lock then a $15 key so it happened A LOT.............