Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Dome lights don't go on when door is opened. They work

Customer Question

Dome lights don't go on when door is opened. They work manually. 2013 Optima

JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Customer: I haven't where would I look. any chance it's a fuse?

JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Customer: My starting point is this going online

JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Customer: Light used to go off when I got near the car with the faub. It no longer does that either

My dome light no longer turns on when door opens. Also used to turn on when I got near the car with the key fob. No longer does that either. Can manually turn on either of two dome lights which are above the mirror. There is also a switch between dome lights that can be turned to the off position if you don't want dome light coming on when door opens. That switch is in the on position but again dome lights don't come on when you open any of the doors.

Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

With the key on or car running. When you open any door, does the instrument cluster warn you of a door open?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when car is running and you open the door the instrument cluster shows you that the door is open

Thanks, ***** ***** going to be a faulty BCM or the yellow wire from BCM to the front overhead light is broken. If you want to diagnose that wire yourself from wire diagrams and by using a volt meter. I can help more.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. If not please reply so we can resolve your issue together.

Thanks Chris