Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

i was working on my 01 spectra and when I lowered it off

Customer Question

i was working on my 01 spectra and when I lowered it off the jack (in park) a pop sound was heard, now the car is hard to get into reverse and will not go into park. there is resistance and when i force the shifter into park to remove the key the dash says im still in neutral
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Robots....
JA: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, my nieghbors cat is fixing it for me.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The noise was a single, one time popping sound that came from under the car somewhere. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and plan on fixing this myself if possible. hopefully someone can help me out there.
]
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Chad

Hey how are you

Go back and inspect the Tran mission shiftler linkage at the transmission ,you could have bend it ?

why was it jacked up , where on car did you installed jack to raise it up , was around trans area ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

2001 Kia Spectra GSX L4-1.8L

Save Article

Adjustment 1. Shift selector lever to P range. 2. Loosen two selector cable mounting bolts. 3. Push selector lever against P range and hold it.

Zoom and Print Options

4. Tighten selector cable mounting bolts.
Tightening torque: 96.6 - 94.8 inch lbs. (7.9 - 10.7 Nm, 80 - 110 kg.cm)

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13851)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was some aftermarket foglights what were causing a battery drain even when the vehicle was off, i removed them. the vehicle was jacked up on the in the front of the frame near the center tiedown. where does the linkage connect to the transmission?Ive also noticed in order to put it in revervse I have to push the shifter button in an push it lightly towards park.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car is also a 2004*

the linkage is on the trans mission itself

click on link to view

I m sorry , your detail says My 01 kia, but no big deal, i change it to 04 :)

this the procedure below to adjust , you have to inspect here

2004 Kia Spectra L4-2.0L

Save Article

TRANSAXLE RANGE SWITCH AND CONTROL CABLE ADJUSTMENT 1. Set the select lever to the "N" position. 2. Loosen the control cable to manual control lever coupling nut to free the cable and lever. 3. Set the manual control lever to the neutral position. 4. Loosen the transaxle range switch body mounting bolts and then turn the transaxle range switch body so the hole in the end of the manual control lever and the hole (cross section A - A in the figure) in the flange of the transaxle range switch body flange are aligned.

Zoom and Print Options

5. Tighten the transaxle range switch body mounting bolts to the specified torque. Make sure at this time that the position of the switch body did not move.
Tightening torque: 10 - 12Nm (100 - 120 kg-cm, 7 - 8 ft. lbs.)

Zoom and Print Options

6. Gently pull the transmission control cable in the direction of the arrow, and then tighten the adjusting nut.
7. Check that the select lever is in the "N" position.

Zoom and Print Options

8. Check that each range on the transmission side operates and functions correctly for each position of the select lever.

Please let me know

Thank

also the shift interlock solenoid at the shifter inside the car needs checking , the button hang uo could be because solenoid or wiring is bad ,

I send you picture of location

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm looking for that location on the transmission, underneath is it visible? I'm not finding it

it is on top ,pull the air box or fuse box or battery out of the way to see it