Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Trying to wire in a new stereo, after market .have connected

Customer Question

trying to wire in a new stereo
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: after market .have connected the power to the new one which appears to be using the red and yellow together and the thick black for earth which appears to opearte the unit and will play a cd
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: but when i connect the speakers there is no sound its a kia picanto 2010
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: kia 2
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my question is does he know what colours go where for the speak wire thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you using a wiring adapter at all to adapt the new radio to the vehicle?

Is there a stereo/vehicle accessory install facility located where you live?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no and no
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the picanto stereo is model A-200SAE 1.5 if thats any help
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Do you know if your model has the sound amplifier installed in it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
in the new stereo?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it says electronic encoder audio included on the side of the box?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

No in your vehicle.Is the stock radio set up set up with a factory amplifier installed in your vehicle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry, yes iit is
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,with the amplified sound system the amplifier provides the sound watts to the speakers.This indicates the stock radio sent signals to the amp for the sound but didnt provide the sound itself.So if your after market radio provides its own sound with speaker outputs you will need to install an after market amp in some cases or see if you can locate a wiring harness adapter for the amplified stereo system.This adapts your vehicles wiring to the after market radio.If you were to wire your radio now to the amp it can damage the radio and amp.I located this harness here for your model and is the best option to allow this after market stereo to work in your model.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors/kia/picanto/ct20ki03-harness-adapter-for-kia-carens-rio

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think I will be able to use that part because I've cut the wire connectors off. What I really need is to know what the different coloured leads coming from the picanto mean . Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't been able to find a colour coded diagram on the internet .
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately after researching the colors myself I am unable to locate this as well.In some cases you may have to contact a dealer in your area to see if they will print off the color codes for you.If this is not an option for you here and you want to see if anyone else can help here let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure they will be much help . Trying to avoid involving the dealer as car still under warranty . I will just have to keep looking
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,if you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please . I'm sure someone somewhere has put a new stereo into a picanto before. .mYbe they have the wiring colour codes ?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete