Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

We replaced the main fuse on my sister's 2005 Kia Rio, but

Customer Question

We replaced the main fuse on my sister's 2005 Kia Rio, but the radio, check engine, or mileage indicators come on. Then we got a P0650 error. What could be the issue?
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We haven't tried much of anything. Didn't know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The brake pressure isnt building and the gear won't shift out of park.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input so I can help you better. I read your notes and am ready to respond. When diagnosing a P0650 code, it is important to record the freeze frame information and then duplicate the code setting conditions with a test drive at the recorded freeze frame conditions. Carefully watch the serial data stream PID values of MIL command and MIL actual. If they disagree at anytime, then you may have verified the problem. I always remove the bulb from the Instrument Cluster and verify the power source, the PCM provides the ground. I do this because the root of the problem may the Instrument Cluster itself. It never hurts to scan the data and codes for the Instrument Cluster and the BCM or Body Control Module. Study the applicable wiring diagram and verify the existence of excellent continuity between the PCM and the Instrument Cluster and MIL socket.