Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

A 2011 kia sorento 3.5 ltr started then suddenly died. would

Customer Question
crank but not start .brought...
a 2011 kia sorento 3.5 ltr started then suddenly died. would crank but not start .brought to dealership.after 3 days they still could not offer an explanation as to what happened.no codes came up! told us no compression on one bank, yet all timing marks/chain line up.Is it possible for cpu to drive phasers so far out of time for the pistons to bend valves...if so, how? why? design flaw??dealership wants to replace engine as they predict catastrophic engine failure!!!
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Kia
1/3/2017
Kia Mechanic: internal88, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic

Hello I'm Brandon - Kia tech.

The problem is from KIA. The defective engine part called the crank sprocket. The engine defect leads to a catastrophic chain of events that starts with severe heat buildup and the release of debris. The piston collided with the valve most likely causing the loss in compression.

Please rate me positive ,thank you.

We read that this was a problem with the '09 and older..we thought the issue was fixed after that...How can this happen if timing marks still line up? At tear down would I expect to see a damaged crank sprocket?

There is also a timing chain tensioner problem with these engine as well. They tension could have released at one point causing the chain to jump and kill the engine.

I would also inspect the crank sprocket for inspection.

Timing marks all line up.. chain did not jump...that was a problem with the smaller engines...we saw all the you tube info as well...
Okay they won't find out the reason until the tech do a complete tear down of the engine. I will opt out if you would like ?
Thanks for your efforts... we would like for u to opt out as no new info was given
internal88
internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic