Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

2009 Kia Blower isnt working the fan speed control.... a/c

Customer Question

2009 Kia Blower isnt working the fan speed control.... a/c kicks on but no air blows. i checked the relay switched it with ign. and still starts fine. used a battery to go direct to the blower motor and it spins, tested the resister seemed problematic so I got a new resister installed it and it still doesnt work is there another relay that could be bad
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: what battery in the car? yes its fine
JA: What is the model of your '09 Kia?
Customer: SUV, LX model
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2009 Kia Blower isnt working the fan speed control.... a/c kicks on but no air blows. i checked the relay switched it with ign. and still starts fine. used a battery to go direct to the blower motor and it spins, tested the resister seemed problematic so I got a new resister installed it and it still doesnt work is there another relay that could be bad
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

What model is your Kia please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kia Sorento Lx
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not at the vehicle now so I call will not help me...
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Is you AC system Automatic or a manual system?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assume manual you click a buttom to engage the a/c compressor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
button
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay thank you for that. The place to start would be to check the blower motor relay located in the under hood fuse panel. Check and see if you have power at the relay on pins 30 and 86 and a goog ground at pin 85. See the relay location in the panel in the link below. Let check the relay and let me know the results and we can work from there when your ready.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blower%20motor%20relay%20location%20Jan%203.pdf

See the wiring diagram for testing reference in this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blower%20motor%20diagram%20Jan%203.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry I have a sportage LX, attached pics of fuse box, I did switch the blower and ign 40amp fuses still no blower .... I have 11.3 volts at one side of fuse
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

If the fuse is okay then you should have power on both sides of it. Is that not the case?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I checked it with fuse out
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

In order to proper check the fuses they need to be in place.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No sure how to check other side with fuse in
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

You check it by placing your probe on the metal tab on both side of the top of the fuse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
12.2 across top of fuse
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay then the next step would be to check for power at the blower motor relay on pins #30 and #86 as well as a good ground on pins #85. If you have power and ground then check to see if you have power out of the relay on pin #87 to the blower motor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where is blower motor relay on this model
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

I sent you the link in my first response (1st link) above. Have a look at it the diagram is marked for blower relay location.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That was wrong model that was for sorento I have sportage
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry was my mistake
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay on your Sportage it inside the car on the passenger side just under the blower motor. See this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blower%20relay%20Jan%204.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
12v at 1 and 2 and at 3 and 4 with power on, how can I test relay?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

If you have power and ground and no power at the blower motor then to best way to replace it is with a know good relay.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ordered blower relay will update u in am
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay, im here if need be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ron you will never believe this.... Got the blower relay in this am installed, tried to start car and now it's a no start. Power at the fuses under hood no blown fuses in driver side panel.... I did pulle the starter relay yesterday to check pins 30 etc. until I realized it was wrong I just check pin 87 and 85 they have power 12 volts... 86 and 30 seems to be dead? Any suggestions.... Btw blower still isn't working
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

If you did not have this problem before then you have to have left something loose. Go back and recheck all your connections.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did that do I need to remove neg terminal to reset car.... Nothing is loose? Could the starter relay have gone bad
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Car has power, just will not turn over....
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay well due to Justanswers site policy I am not allowed to address new topic in an old post. For the no start issue you are going to need to open and new post.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I checked pin 87,85,30,86 I had to force my multimeter probe down the hole could the connections not be making good contact now...
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Just liked you open the others you have open. Open a new question on this topic.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Put a new question in there hopefully you get it
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

If not someone will pick it up.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok someone is working with me on the no start issue, but blower isn't working after replacing the relay and resister what would you look at next
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

DId you ever check to see if you have power at both pins on the blower relay as well as a ground coming from the resistor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is not going well... There are two wires out of the front of the fuse box both red cables one on left has 12v one on right nothing.... The other guy didn't have a skematic of fuse box, he referred me back. This isn't going well can you help
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You the terminals at wiring harness where relay plugs in do you have skematic...which terminal is ground from resister I will do it now... This all has to be tied to no start issue
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

I am not allowed to address new topics and this is a new topic. You are going to have to work with the other expert on this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am trying to work on blower issue
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

I have done all I can from here. I can open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else can get you what you need.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please do this has been a complete waste of my time
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok Kia is running... Let's work on this blower motor issue.... At plug to relay my test light only lights on one terminal. Could this be the switch?