Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

We just replaced the purge valve on my car and it started

Customer Question

We just replaced the purge valve on my car and it started stalling out every time I put gas in. Is it possible we put it on upside down?
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: Just right after I fill it at the gas station. Once it's been running a few minutes I have no problem starting it an I'm not having any issues while driving
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 2012 rio
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My brother in law replaced the purge valve because the check engine light came on and said that was the problem. The car never stalled out until after we replaced it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think ot
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

No need to request a phone call, but please give me a moment to type my response.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Two possibilities here,

This valve has 2 vacuum hoses connected to it. If he got them backwards, then it is possible it's sucking the fumes into the intake, the other possible issue would be an electrical problem at the connector keeping the valve open all the time instead of it closing and only opening when the computer tells it to.

I would swap the vacuum hoses around and put gas in the car. If the issue is resolved, then it's all good. If it continues to have the problem, then the electrical is going to have to be checked out.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

I haven't heard back so I was wondering how you made out with this?