Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Troubleshooting 2012 kia sorento 4wd system. I believe that

Customer Question
troubleshooting 2012 kia sorento 4wd...
troubleshooting 2012 kia sorento 4wd system.
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I believe that it's not engaging correctly even though the dealer says "scanning " shows I have no issue. For example, front wheel spins and no obvious action felt nor seen from the rear wheels.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: Good to excellent condition It's the 2.2L diesel engine variant
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have plugged off the connector from the 4wd ECU to the solenoid clutch actuator and got 3.2 ohms looking into the solenoid. I have reconnected it and measured 0Vdc for all conditions, except when it's in drive or reverse with the accelerator depressed. Once in drive or reverse and depending on how much the accelerator is depressed then I get from 1.8Vdc to 6.6Vdc. If the 4WD lock is on then it goes straight to 6.6Vdc irrespective of amount depressed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A European website lists the 4WD ECU part number is ***** and the COUPLING ASSEMBLY-4WD part number is(###) ###-####based on my VIN, which is KNAKU814SC5299681
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the front wheel(s) spins out continuously for about 2 seconds such as accelerating aggressively from standstill on a wet, slippery, level road or if the front wheel(s) spins out periodically over a short span of time such as climbing a wet, slippery, steep hill the 4WD warning light comes on. Note in neither condition there is any rear wheel spin out, rear torque steer/ drift nor rear wheel pushing feeling felt.
Answered in 5 days by:
11/26/2016
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the warning light is coming on when the front wheels slip it's because the module is requesting torque, seeing a failure in the system and setting a fault code. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As for codes... the warning light goes off on it's own after about 5 minutes or less of normal driving or if the ignition is switched off then on again. Also, the KIA dealer said their scanner didn't show anything.

If the warning light is coming on it's because a failure is being seen and a fault code is setting. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to determine what fault codes are setting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. However, if the dealer is not seeing a code as they say what do I do then? My personal Bluetooth OBDII scanner only see trouble codes for main computer. It will not see into the 4WD ECU.

There are fault codes setting if the warning light is coming on. Unless you're disconnecting the battery or the module is failing and it's losing memory then there are codes being stored. The first step in Mandingo the problem is to either determine what codes are set, or if none are actually setting then data is going to need to be monitored at the time the problem is happening to determine if the module is going down.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician