Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

09 sportage, 4cl. Need to replace power steering pump. Not

Customer Question

09 sportage, 4cl. Need to replace power steering pump. Not sure how to remove the belt?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: 108000 miles, fluid never changed until recently. Yes whining when I start the car and when I turn the wheel. Goes away after a minute or two. Has been getting worse though.
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, Just replaced fluid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When it's whining the belt actually stops moving. Belts have been replaced recently by mechanic.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like either the power steering pump is bad or the belt to the pump is too loose. With the engine off can you move the belt back and forth in either direction more than a half inch or so? If so, the belt is too loose. I can send a diagram that shows how to replace the pump which includes replacing the belt, but I would probably check to make sure the belt isn't loose first.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just needed to know how to remove the belt so I could replace the pump. I wasn't sure if there was a tensioner. I figured it out on my own by just loosening the pump. Pump is replaced now.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Did you need any additional info?

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate. Just answer compensates me based on your positive rating.