Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

1998 kia sportage turns over will not start have changed

Customer Question
Crank position sensor no luck...
1998 kia sportage turns over will not start have changed Crank position sensor no luck have tried spraying starting fluid in intake no luck.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
11/8/2016
Kia Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician  replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors, proper fuel pressure and good engine compression, can you check each one of these things and see which one you are lacking and post back and we can work from there to determine the cause.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have everything but injector pulse, looked at data with scanner inhibitor switch shows to be on could this be a security issue?

That is likely, have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes setting and have you tried using the spar key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No fault codes have to see if they have a spare key.

In most cases if you have a theft system concern it will usually set a fault code. Try the spare key if you can and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Scanned pending code found code P0561 System backup power malfunction

This code indicates a difference in voltage of less than 2.5 volts at the Engine Control Module (ECM). Kia had a recall on this code that called for replacing a couple of connector the recall was campaign 014. I think you should check on this first as it could very well be related.

Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician