sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

KIA Sorento 2004 TDCi immobiliser remains on after replacing

Customer Question

KIA Sorento 2004 TDCi immobiliser remains on after replacing the battery
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Try below procedure and let me know

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, no luck. The immobilizer light remains on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The engine first started after replacing the battery, then died after about a minute or so (subjective). I then followed the process you described with no luck. All the normal lights come on when inserting and turning the ignition key. The immobilizer light however stays on but extiguishes whilst cranking the engine. The engine however does not start at all.

if the light is going out while starting that is not our problem

We need correct Fuel pressure & good Spark for the engine to run correctly ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi- it is a 2.5 CRDi, therefore no spark issue. It ran 100% before I had to remove the battery in order to replace the left front coil/shock assembly. After reconnecting the battery the engine ran for approximately 1 minute and then cut out. the immobilizer light then came on as described previously.

I m not sure on this one ,I will opt out for another expert to help on this issue they might have more info to assist you

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine died while running then it isn't an immobilizer issue. The immobilizer would cause it to start and immediately die or not start at all.

I suspect the engine controller isn't awake either due to a loss of power or ground or an internal failure. Do you have a scan tool to check for ECM communication?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I sorted the problem out on Thursday past. It turned out to be the diesel supply pump that went on the blink. Regards, Ed
Great!