Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

The radio stopped working. I ordered a new radio and tried

Customer Question
to install it myself. I...
The radio stopped working. I ordered a new radio and tried to install it myself. I heard it turn on when I first turned the car on but the radio still does not function
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: i checked the fuse prior to replacing I also took it to a kia dealer and they told me the radio needed to be replaced and wanted to charge me $2500
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2011 kia forte koup ex
JA: Are you fixing your Forte Koup yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1. I checked the fuse. The fuse looks fine. I replaced the fuse anyway and it still didn't work. 2. I took it to a kia dealer - they said the fuse is fine and they need to replace the radio
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 3. I bought a new radio and installed it and it still doesn't work
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
10/29/2016
Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

There are 2 fuses. One is labeled "Audio" and other D/Clock. Did you check them both? If so, check to see if they both have power with key on and let me know. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both fuses seem fine. I don't know how to see if they have power. The fuses look fine, the dash clock works fine. The Kia service center said the fuses are fine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there anything else you can suggest?

It sounds like wiring, you can check fuses for power with multimeter or test light. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I brought it to a shop, they tested all fuses and wires, everything is fine. They said there is power to the radio. When I first hook up the new radio you can hear something inside spinning or making some sort of noise but the display does not light up and you can't turn the radio on. They advised that both my original radio and the radio I just purchased must be bad. The new radio is a used radio but came with a warrantee so I assumed it would work. If you have any other ideas I would be glad to try them.

I agree with shop if power on both wires and ground is good then new radio must be bad but there is a chance shop didn't do testing right so I'd consider doing it yourself. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician