Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

It won't pass emmisissions and the tech said i need to do a

Customer Question
it won't pass emmisissions...
it won't pass emmisissions and the tech said i need to do a drive cycle on it
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 06 kia optima lx
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no this is what the emmission tech said i need to do because the readiness isn't passing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no but not paying for this info am i?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello they took my money and i had to join this crap so what's going on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?????????
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i need an answer now or i want my money back
10/26/2016
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Here is the drive cycle that needs done.It can be a little confusing but this drive cycle will ensure that all tests are run to pass emissions unless a fault occurs.

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician