Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I have a 2009 kia spectra new battery and new starter but

Customer Question
wont start i have lights...
I have a 2009 kia spectra new battery and new starter but wont start i have lights radio and everything but wont start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
8/15/2016
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you jump a wire to the starter does the starter engage to spin over the engine but the engine does not start?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

O.k.,one of the more common causes for this issue here is a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.It can fail to provide a signal to power up certain electronics like the starter and other ignition components to start the engine.If you have not had the ignition switch tested this needs done as well as the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set with this issue.This will require a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model to check codes and ignition switch signals as well as a multi meter to test these signals.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have a device in our car that requires a code when we make weekly payments it paid and code was put in i did speak to the company and they say as long as its flashing green the device is working properly I'm going to send you a picture of the part that is wired to the starter and see if that could be an issue

O.k.,send the picture(s) if you can.

Thanks Pete

Even thought it is flashing green this doesnt necessarily mean that the entire system is operating as it should.It is very possible this device is causing this issue here as I have seen devices like this in the past act up before needing replaced or removed.I would have this checked into further to see if this is the cause here needing replaced or possibly re wired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We did get the to start by using the wire between starter and baterry and turning key

This can still be this device here causing this issue needing replaced.It may show green but it may have an internal fault in the box in the picture you posted above needing replaced.

The electronic ignition switch can also cause this needing replaced as well so this would need to be tested to see if this is an issue.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician