Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I tried to remove idler pulley from my 2004 Kia Sedona but

Customer Question
Hello! I tried to remove...
Hello! I tried to remove idler pulley from my 2004 Kia Sedona but it very hard.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: I forgot how many mileage. The engine size is 24 v6 3500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes with my mechanic ralative. We have tried to pull off the idler pulley but is very hard.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I want to know how to take it off easily.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
8/8/2016
Kia Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician  replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

What do you identify as the idler pulley? Is it the crankshaft pulley?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so. It was beneath alterrnator.

It is the large bolt on the pulley that is too tight for you to remove?

Do you have air impact tools and a pulley holder?

There is a plastic idler pulley for the belt tensioner, is the pulley metal or plastic?

Are you still with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We dont have those tools.It is a metal.The tools we used were Torx Wrench and combination wrench.Plus we used cold chisel to knock it off the pulley because star pattern of the pulley was loose, so we cant used Torx wrench key anymore.

That is unfortunate. You will need to get a new pulley and bolt. You need to grind the head off what is left of the bolt so you can remove what is left of the pulley then use visegrips to remove the last of the bolt.

Let me know how I can help you with this

You asked how to do this easily? At this point there is no easy to it. You need an electric or air powered grinder. A Dremel tool or it's equivalent will work.

Thank you

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician