Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2013 kia soul. i started with the rear hatch would not

Customer Question

2013 kia soul. i started with the rear hatch would not unlock. only drivers door will unlock with key fob. all doors will lock with fob. but if you open both front doors and push the lock button on the fob, the rear hatch will unlock. if you push unlock button the rear hatch will lock. I have removed all door panels. all door switches disconnected. all lock actuators except rear hatch are unplugged.
if you close either left or right front doors, while the other side is open it will lock the rear hatch. but both doors have to be open to unlock rear hatch. already replaced BCM and the dealer in town told me I need to replace all the lock actuators. which I have but are reluctant to change all of them if its not needed. have checked for voltage on actuator plug, only have voltage on lock side nothing for unlock side in all passenger doors. drivers door hot both sides. also running lights flash when I close all doors. any suggestions? any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You ***** *****
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

From what I gather from your description all power door locks now work form the switches and fobs but the liftgate works opposite from its command. If I understood wrong, let me know. SO far this looks like a smart key control module failure. Do you have a diagnostic tool and do you understand wire diagrams?

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moose, thanks for the reply. The door switch and fob will only unlock drivers, but not the other doors. However I can lock all doors with switches or fob, with the exception of rear hatch. The rear hatch does work opposite, but both front doors have to be open or it will remain locked. I can usually find my way around wiring diagrams. As for test equipment I have a test light and a voltmeter. Anything more specialized I may have to take to the dealer. I work at a Hyundai dealership, building old school hot rods for the owner, but I am not employed by the dealership. So anything computerized or newer then late seventies is not something I normally work on. So with that said where is and how can I test the smart key module ?

Left side of the dash, does your model have serviceable lock and unlock relays, if so then we have some electrical testing to do there from this diagram. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/soullock.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moose, got the wiring diagram, thank you. I am not sure if I have serviceable lock/unlock relays. The fuse box on left side of dash is just fuses and several plugs and back side of fuse panel is more plugs, I haven't found anything that is a match with the wire colors listed for the ip junction box. Is there a chance you have picture or discription of what I am looking for ? There are four relays under the dash on left side a blue and a white square relay and two larger rectangle blue and a white relay. Colors of wires for those relays are not a match for schematic. Thanks Dan

I do not have another diagram that shows where that junction block is. I will opt out and see if another has it and can help from here on out. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moose, Thank you for your help.