Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I have a 2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cylinder. The ac compressor

Customer Question
went out and was replaced...
I have a 2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cylinder. The ac compressor went out and was replaced with an original manufacturing equipment part, however since then I keep having electrical problems. The battery was run down and so I replaced it I have had a diagnostic run on the charging system and everything is working fine. While driving with ac running and radio on there will be a short loss of power that is intermittent. In addition after driving then parking and attempting to crank the car the battery appears dead and there is no electrical power. But in actuality the battery charge is fine. I have no clue what is going on could use some help.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: read first post
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other things checked include used meter to check drain on battery there was virtually no drain after an hour of sitting. In addition have checked fuses to both radio and ecu, the radio fuse was fine. There appeared to be some heat damage to the ecu fuse so I replaced it. Note I can always tell when it will not crank as the interior light will not be on so I have to jump start it. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction as the mechanic shop does not have a clue.
7/16/2016
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have a couple different problems going on and tests results may not have been valid. If the battery is dying while the vehicle sits then you definitely have a draw, although it may be intermittent. Depending on the exact other symptoms you may have a charging issue but if you're having a widespread complete power loss while driving then a power distribution, ground or wiring problem are likely.

Can you describe exactly what is happening when you drive? Are electrical accessories dimming, or does everything shut off like the key was shut off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the radio is on then it goes of for a brief second then comes back on. At times there has been a definite lurch as the car stalled for a brief second. The battery is brand new as of last weekend so shouldn't be the battery. After 2 hours with a vu meter there was no drain on the battery. I am really perplexed.

Do you lose the blower motor, windows, turn signals, instrument cluster, etc?

Do the warning lights do a bulb check after the engine jerks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It only lasts for a brief second but have not checked windows, turn signal does cause it sometime to have the intermittent power loss. There are no warning lights at the time of power loss.

Do you have the ability to monitor data?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have that ability.

It's going to take some testing at the time the problem is happening to be able to determine what is going on. Data is going to need to be monitored to see if the engine controller is going down briefly and if that is confirmed then it's power and ground feeds will need to be monitored to see what is being lost. It sounds as if you may have a wiring, ignition switch or power distribution issue that's taking down the engine controller, radio and likely other components very briefly while driving.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am thinking it might be radio related as it seldom happens without the radio being on. I also can tell when the car will not crank as the interior light is not on. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to run diagnostics.
The radio could be the cause of itself turning off and it could cause a battery draw but it wouldn't affect the way the engine runs.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician