Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2006 Kia Optima my key gets stuck in the ignition I can't

Customer Question
get it out. I can...
2006 Kia Optima my key gets stuck in the ignition I can't get it out. I can start the engine but when I turn it off it won't go all the way to lock and the key gets stuck.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it's possible to fix by myself I will. I just squirted some WD-40 in it. Sometimes the key will come out and sometimes it won't.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The key is quite old and worn. I don't know if that's the cause or not.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
7/11/2016
Kia Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

what is the mileage on the car ?

1- first make another key , a worn out key will cause this for sure

2- if that don t solve it , you need a new ignition lock cylinder with a new key ?

Please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician