Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I've got a 2011 Kia Sorento. Sometimes when I start the

Customer Question
vehicle, the a/c blows only...
I've got a 2011 Kia Sorento. Sometimes when I start the vehicle, the a/c blows only warm air. If I shut off the vehicle, wait 10 seconds and restart it, the a/c blows cold air as expected.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
6/23/2016
Kia Mechanic: Kavey, Shop Owner replied 1 year ago
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

When its blowing warm is the compressor running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked, and I'm not sure how to?

Watch the compressor and see if the clutch part is turning.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, after restarting it several times, the air has blown cold each time and the compressor is running. I haven't been able to make it not work yet, it is an intermittent problem.

OK. There really isnt a lot I can do to help if you cant get it to act up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The compressor is running even when it doesn't blow cold air.

OK. And if you adjust the temperature from cold to hot and back to cold does that change anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It either blows cold air or it doesn't. If it's not blowing cold air, restarting the car usually gets it to blow cold air. The frequency this occurs has been increasing for about 4 weeks.

OK when its blowing warm air feel the metal A/C lines going into the firewall. What do they feel like?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The larger metal a/c line feels normal, the smaller line feels very cool.

OK. The problem is electrical. Most likely the temperature door actuator.

Are you wanting to fix it yourself?

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing and verify that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a multimeter. I would like to try to fix it myself if I can.

OK. I am attaching a pinout of the actuator as well as the replacement instructions which should help you locate it for testing. When it is acting up check the voltage between pins 3 and 7 and let me know what you get.

Sorry here are the attachments.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will need to wait about an hour before pulling the glove box. I will get back to you then.

Alright. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pulled the glove box and the temperature control actuator was performing nominally. Had to break down and take it in to have the pressure tested. It was low on refrigerant and they told me the low-side pressure was too low. Does that mean the compressor is going, or is there something else I might be able to look at fixing?

If the low side pressure is too low to create cool air it would not let the compressor run. I have my doubts about their diagnoses.

Being low on refrigerant is natural. The molecules of R134 are so small that it does leak just a tiny but and needs recharged over time. The vehicle is 5 years old so its about that time.

If it works after charging it then I stand corrected but that sure seems odd., Either way if its low it needs topped off so it couldnt hurt.

Kavey
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner