Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Kia Sportage hood release cable mechanism disconnected,

Customer Question
cannot open hood. Help!...
Kia Sportage hood release cable mechanism disconnected, cannot open hood. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
6/11/2016
Kia Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What is the year of it please?

.

Was there anything on the previous posts that may have indicated that we know what year it is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a 2010 Kia Sportage, The hood release cable is disconnected from inside the cabin, I first didn't know what was wrong that the hood does not open when i pull the lever under the steering wheel and kept trying to pull harder, at the end the entire hood release cable came off from inside the hood. Now I cannot open it anymore.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have already tried to use a flat head screw driver to pry the hood latch, hoping to somehow pop up the hood but my attempts were unsuccessful. I went under the car and used a flash light to look for a way to open it but it is hard to see the top hood latch mechanism. Plus there is not much room where i can put my hand in from under the hood.

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

..

The best way to open the hood is to have someone push down on it while you are pulling the cable. When the cable is not attached, you can normally go through the grille on it and pull the latch lever with a screwdriver.

.

If you can access any part of the cable from under the hood, in the grill area, you can cut the outer housing and strip it to where you can grab the cable itself with pliers and pull on it, (while someone pushes down on the hood)

.

If need be then you will have to lay down under the front of the vehicle and reach up in there with a screwdriver and activate the latch, where the cable goes.

..

The only other way would be to get in there with a small wrench, and unbolt the latch itself.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am attaching the hood latch lock photos here. This is the same type of lock in my sportage.
There are two lock mechanism in this hood latch, the primary lock is what's stuck. The secondary lock can be easily pulled to open.
I have already tried everything you suggested, but the difficulty is there is no room to reach up the hood from under the car. If the grill can be opened then i would be able to reach into the latch and look for the release cable but that is not possible with this sportage. The grill can only be opened when all screws are removed but due to their location, some top screws can only be removed if the hood is open.

Yes, the primary part of the latch is what you need to activate. That is the one that 'pops' the hood. I know it is hard to get through the grille with a screwdriver on them a lot of times and I have seen some that the tech would have to break the grille to get into it. Sure you can't charge the customer for that though. Sorry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you suggest me any other way that i can try to open the hood? My last resort would be to use saw blades to cut the hood lock.

I wish there were.

I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The only non destructive way to get the hood open will be to move the linkage on the primary latch. The cable body attaches to the outside of the latch and then the actual cable in the center connects to an arm on the portion of the latch that moves - the part connected to the spring in the first picture you posted. To get the hood to open this is what needs to be moved, however you can get hold of it. With a screwdriver, coat hanger, pliers, etc, this needs to be moved in the direction opposite the spring. Since you were having a hard time pulling the handle and the cable then broke, there is a good chance that the latch has failed and you won't be able to successfully move the linkage by hand. Pulling up and pushing down on the hood while trying to move the linkage would be advisable if you can't get the linkage to move.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, can you please provide me with some pictures of the entire cable mechanism from the pull lever under the steering wheel to the hood latch lock? I have already tried to use screw driver to pry the latch but i cannot get close enough to touch the pri***** *****nk. The hood latch is positioned behind the grill which is that making access to it almost impossible. To access the latch from the front, i will need to remove the grill but its not possible as the grill can only be opened when the hood is release.

I'm unable to post directly from the service information due to copyright but what you're looking for is clearly visible in the pictures of the latch posted earlier in the thread. I've added an arrow to the picture showing where the cable attaches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks for your clarification. But how do i access that part of the latch? I can hardly get to the front of the latch, let alone that back side.

There isn't a provision or procedure for a case like this, you have to improvise and do whatever is necessary for access.

Have you tried coming up from underneath?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have exhausted all options before coming to this site for help. I have removed the driver's side wheel as well as the cover right below the car in my attempt to gain access to the latch and/or the release mechanism. I can hardly see the latch from bottom of the car. And its hard to put my hand in from below as the space is too narrow.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the entire hood release cable pulled out, can you show me pictures of where the cable belong to inside the cabin? that way i can trace it back to where it was and try something else, maybe.

You have the cable pulled out from where?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From lever under the steering wheel, the pull lever where drivers pull to open the hood. The entire release cable is out completely now.

You're still concerned with getting to the area I marked on the hood latch. You have to move this lever to open the hood, or you have to devise a way to cut the latch or hood striker. You're going to have to try to work through the openings in the grille or come up from underneath and move the lever on the latch using a coat hanger, screwdriver, radiator hose pick, etc. If you're unable to do so on your own a shop would most likely charge about .5 to one hour of labor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will keep trying

Let me know how it goes!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried everything in my capacity but i cannot succeed, its just not going to work unless i have magic hands or special tools. I will leave the car to a bodyshop to fix it.I would like to request for the refund.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician