Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Would the vehicle speed sensor cause the car to accelerate

Customer Question

Would the vehicle speed sensor cause the car to accelerate on its own? We where in a drive through car wash, and car was on but in park, all of a sudden the car accelerated up to a 4 on its own, I had to turn off car for it to stop doing it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patricia,You were in a carwash with the engine running, transmission shifter in park is that correct?And then the speedometer or the tachometer moved to "4", do you mean 4 mph or 4000rpm?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4000 rpm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it idled high to a 4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rpm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tachometer
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, are you saying the engine raced to 4000rpm, so then you turned it off?It is ok now, or is it doing funny things now?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned car off because it wouldn't stop doing it. Waited and turned back on, it did it again. When car wash was done I started car it drove fine. But haven't got back in it, I'm to scared that it will accelerate while in motion.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I can understand your grief.Is the car home now?Has the car "dried out" overnight?It may be ok now if it has dried out.I have seen this a few times with many cars, sometimes high pressure water gets into a sensor connector.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just happened this evening, so I haven't tried it anymore.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you are home now, and all safe, lock the car up in the garage overnight, and we'll see how it is in the morning.Let me know when you are ready to try it again.PS. I had a customers car, one of the techs washed the motor, then it wouldn't start, diagnosis said engine computer, but the next day it was fine.Performed diagnosis again as a final check, one of those things.I didn't want to put a computer in it unnecessarily.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea. I'm just so scared, don't want to be one of those things where its the gas pedal accelerating and can't stop it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try tmrw.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I understand, just come back here when you are ready to try it again.Good night for now.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patricia,Is your car ok now?I would have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary