sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Kia Rio: 06 Kia rio cuts off while driving. No warning, no

Customer Question

06 Kia rio cuts off while driving. No warning, no light, just cuts off. Will usually restart after 10 or 15 min. Replaced Crank position and cam position sensors. Still cuts off. Can you Help
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, is the check engine light on and if so are any diagnostic codes present?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light. Has full power. Will turn over. Won't start.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
OK, if you would take the main relay shown in the picture below and swap it with something like the horn or AC relay, not the fuel pump relay. this test will tell us if the main relay is bad. Let me know how it goes and we can work further if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It will be tomorrow before I can do this. But I must say, I don't know what it is I will be looking for. The car probably will start tomorrow because it has been sitting. But it will cut off after a while, even while driving. Once it cuts off, it will not restart for may be fifteen minutes. Then the problem is repeated.
I want to make sure you understand the problem.
So when I swap the relays, how will I know if this is the problem?
Do I start the car and let it quit, then swap out the relays?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
That's correct start it and let it quit somewhere safe. Just let it run in your yard or a parking lot where there's no danger when it stalls, then swap the relays. Let me know what it does and I can help you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...thanks... will let you know.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, talk with you then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I swapped our relays. It still won't start. What next.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
You need to use a spark checker to see if it's losing spark or spray some carburetor cleaner into the intake tube to see if it's losing fuel pressure. If ti starts when you spray carb cleaner down the intake tube we know to look at the fuel system. Just a note I have to step out for a Doctor appointment in a few minutes and will be gone until aroun 3-3:30PM EST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. I'll try that. Problem is I have to be at work at noon. So no problem for your appointment it'll be 8 o'clock before I can try this. Thanks again maybe I'll contact you tomorrow.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good talk to you then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you there. I'm at the car now. It got off three times but it restarted each time I'm trying to wait now for it not to restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One time it hesitated as if it was going to cut off. But then it it picked up again. And now it's cut off again. But it restarted
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting. Any issue causing a lack of spark shoudl set a code and that will give a starting point for testing.Have you checked for codes?