Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

When I pull up to a stop light it acts like it wants to die

Customer Question

When I pull up to a stop light it acts like it wants to die and it won't go over 40 mph also the check engine light keeps blinking really fast
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: At stop lights the engine starts to sputter then when I take off from a dead stop it seems to take forever to get up to speed also it doe sent seem to want to go faster then 40-45 mph once I get going also the check engine light starts to blink really fast
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible yes I read in the owners manual that it could be the catylitic converter that is causing the light to blink but would that affect mph and make my car seem like it wants to die at a standstill
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: I just put a new fuel filter on it yesterday but there was no difference in performance at all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
What kind of Kia do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2000 kia sephia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I going to get any kind of answer to my question of yesterday? It has been over 24 hours and nothing
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. From what you describe it seems like you may have an ignition coil that is bad. You can have the codes checked at an auto part store to see which cylinder the coil is on.