Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

KIA Rondo: My 2098 Kia Rondo V6 is having problems with the

Customer Question
My 2098 Kia Rondo V6...
My 2098 Kia Rondo V6 is having problems with the dash lights and the rear running lights not operating
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
5/9/2016
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi there,Have you done anything to try and resolve the problem yet?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband and his friend have no idea what to do
OkIn the fuse box under the hood they need to locate a 20 amp fuse labeled TAIL. It should be listed on the cover. Replace the fuse and see if it resolves the problem. This is the power supply for the tail light relay which should also fix the dash lights if it's this simple. Please do this and let me know.Thank you.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure yet because my husband was told that it could be the brains but in the meantime he's having to deal with a broken toilet first. We'll get around to the fuse as soon as possible
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was also sidetracked by the fact that there's a right and a left tail light fuse inside the car in the fuse box also what is that all about?
They are the fuses out to the tail lights, however there is a tail light relay. The fuse you are checking is the fuse to the tail light relay. The tail left and tail right don't get any power until the relay kicks on. Since BOTH lights don't work we check the relay for the fuse first. Chances both the left and right tail light fuses blew at the same time are pretty low.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we change the fuse under the hood. Now the tail lights are working but I still have no dash lights what do I do next? Before changing the fuse the taillights would work intermittently at and switch off with a brake light and turn signal but now they seem to be working properly but still no dash lights
OkWe're halfway there.Give me a moment to get the wiring diagram up, in the meantime can you please check the dimmer switch and make sure it's turned all the way up
Based on the wiring diagram the problem is with the headlight switch if the dash lights still aren't working. The tail lamp relay is the power source for the dash lights. So, if it's not working the dimmer switch is the most likely culprit. If you have the means to test it we can.Please let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a multi-meter we're not sure how to operate it but I would be willing to test a dimmer switch if you need if you could tell me how to
Ok we can do that.Is the dimmer switch part of the headlight switch on your model or is it separate?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dimmer switch is separate
OkYou have to get the connector off the back of the switch, then turn the headlights on and check for power on the yellow wire.To do this, set the volt meter to 12volts DC, take the black wire on the meter and connect it to something metal, then take the red wire and touch the end of the wire in the connector. It should show battery voltage. If it does, then check the black wire with the orange stripe in the harness with the switch plugged in. I suspect we have power in and nothing coming out. Try it and let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We finally got this done yes we have power in I don't know the black and orange wire is seen on the switch for the ESC is this correct?
No, this wire should be coming off the same connector that the solid yellow wire was on
according to the wiring diagram, they should be right next to each other in the connector.Sending a diagram of the connector and I highlighted where the wires should beremember, the connector has to be plugged in to check this black/orange wire for power.
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician