Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Air conditioner blowing warm air. JA: Sometimes things that

Customer Question
Air conditioner blowing warm air. JA...
Air conditioner blowing warm air.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2012 Kia Optima. Air conditioner doesn't appear to be working ie air blowing from vents is warm not cold.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Car has 103, 000 miles on it.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Recharging it with freon however low pressure line was way over pressure (>100psi)
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: Ac lines are warm not cold after idling engine on high with ac turned on max for 15 minutes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
5/1/2016
Kia Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic
Hi there thanks for thr question. Do you know or not if your compressor is running and how about thr cooling fans
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe it is. I can hear a difference in engine load when turning o the ac. Also feel hot engine air difference in engine compartment when on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still researching problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I get some feedback?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long do I have to wait for a response? You have asked one question to which I replied.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to tell Visa to cancel this order if I don't hear anything back from you in the next 15 minutes. At this point I'm thinking I have been scammed.
Sir in here
Forgive me I live in thr south and we are in thr middle of a bad storm
Sir you have not been scammed let's fix your car
Oksy you say the compressor is coming on. The pipes that go inside thr car there is a small one and big one. With ac on engine running is the small pipe getting cold
Sir did you cancel on me? Anyway I meant thr big pipe is it getting cold, the small one should be hot. Knowing this will help us determine if we possibly have a problem with thr temp door or actuator
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both pipes are warm to hot after being on max cold for 10 minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?
Okay if both pipes are warm the compressor may not be coming on or it has failed can u see the compressor
Do you have gauges to hook up to ac
I see a lot of kias in for this and I real common problem is thr magnetic clutch on the compressor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gauge on low pressure line reads >100 psi.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What can I do?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What diagnostic test can I do to see if this is the problem? Could it be due to the evaporative cooler?
No. You mentioned something about the pressure do u have gauges
Actually around 100 psi would be normal with thr compressor not running.
If you can see thr compressor have someone turn it on so you can see if thr clutch is engaging
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like the clutch is engaging but hard to say for sure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's rotating all the time
Do you have gauges
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have gauges for both high and low pressure lines. Only the low pressure line when I tried filling with freon (>100 psi)
Did you try looking at thr compressor while someone turned thr ac on and off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it appears to always turn but at different rates when on vs off. My dads Kia does the same.
Ok. If it is coming on and both thr pipes are hot we are gonna need those gauges
we can diagnose whether it is a bad compressor or expansion valve
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'm going to go get them Be back in 30-45 minutes
Okay I will be checking in with you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Low side was >100 psi, high side was in the normal range 125 psi. Temperature is about 75F.
Okay if your compressor is coming on its bad, it isn't pumping
With the ac on and working properly you would see 25 to 40 on low and 225 275 on high
Do this watch your gauges and see whst thr pressure does as you cut the ac on and off
When ac is off pressures shoukd equalize and be around 100 psi on both sides
Once you turn on ac thr high will rise and low side will lower, with your pressures it would indicate the compressor isn't pumping although it did rise by 25 psi on high side
Your next move is to confirm that the compressor is engaging, you can do that by watching pressures when the ac is turned on if it's engaging. Go get a compressor kit from advance, and I will help you put it on you will save as much as 5 to 700
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried everything you suggested. Gushes did not move (low still above 100 before turning engine on, and while running with or without ac). I decided to turn engine off and evacuate all the air from the low by pushing in the pin with a screw driver. No freon came out at all suggesting no freon in the system. Now when I ran the system with ac on or off pressure stayed low in low line, but high pressure was also low. Decided to try to fill low with freon. I didn't add much, maybe 10-15% of can and low went very high again while high stayed low (80-100psi). What's this telling you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing really seems to happen to the pressure gauges when I turn the ac on or off.
Good morning
You say thr low went very high, how high? It sounds to me like your compressor isn't coming on. I'm about to look at circuit for thr compressor I will be rigjt back
Locate the ac compressor relay in thr underhood fuse box it will be labeled. Remove that relay and using a jumper wire bypass the relay sending 12 volts down to thr compressor this will force it to come on. Thr relay pins will be numbered jump 30 to 87
If it comes on and starts cooling were gonna need a scantool. But a real common part for that probkem is thr evaporater temp sensor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Btw, I really appreciate all your help Reggie!
Sir I do apologize my laptop crashed today, hard drive I beleive, all my programming software everything.
I do appreciate your patience I am trying to open your pic
Okay thr fuse that's labeled acon and the relay HAC
R u online now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I see the fuses. What should I do next?

first make sure the fuse is good and that relay pull it out the blades coming out of it should have numbers 85 86 30 87

you want to take a jumper and put between 87 and 30 that will make the compressor run if not take a test light and make sure you have power at both leads if you do go down to the compressor and make sure you have 12 volts coming in if you do compressor is bad

good morning my friend, I am online, computer repaired lets get you some ac today. That relay may be numbered different two of the blades should be larger than the other 2 the large ones are we are working.

I need to know a couple things there are 2 different systems on your car do you have automatic or manual air conditioning and your engine size

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you want to take a jumper and put between 87 and 30 that will make the compressor"...Does this mean connect the two outlets with a wire and I should here the compressor turn on at this point?

No sir hold on that you have the premiere automatic ac system, hold till i finish looking at circuit

call me it will be easier
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried calling but you were out and mailbox was full. My number is(###) ###-####cell or(###) ###-####wk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Scan tool Launch Creader VII+?

Launch Idiag its a little yellow connector works bluetooth with your cellphone or tablet

here is something to consider the dealership would charge you somewhere between 2 and 300 dollars just to diagnose the problem. That scanner will cost you less than half that and the next time you need it it will be paying you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see something about having to pay for software after registering x431 auto diag. They say there's also free software (OBDII).

sir how did you find that? OMG i thought those were all pulled.. Sir yes you have to buy each carline at about 67 a piece but its lifetime, and get this you have full functionality you can clear codes activate devices, make adjustments, coding everything there 5000 dollar scanner does, i will warnyou it might say us but its actually china but thats cool, I didnt know they made it in apple. Sir if that is what i think it is, buy it immediately

yes that is actually the one i was telling you about, now they offer two of those one of them comes with 3 free carlines and i beleive the other doesnt

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I ordered it but it's not scheduled for delivery until next Friday May 13 th. I will contact you after receiving it. Thanks!

Okay please do and if for some reason i dont catch you on here call me and we will tallk on here. Its our busy season. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Reggie, I finally got the launch scan tool to help diagnose the AC problem. I registered the device and downloaded the appropriate Kia Optima software. Call me or reply to let me know what I should do next.(###) ###-#### *****! Dan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reggie, I'm still waiting for your reply. Dan

be right wit you you got those codes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
C1611(CAN timeout EMS)
Intake potentiometer 6.27%Was I supposed to do this test with the engine running/AC on?

Good morning I am reviewing your information now, i apologize i recently got custody of my 12 year old daughter and have had alot to do getting her settled. Give me a few minutes be right back

That code C1611 what module was it stored in? And did you do a reset and clearing of all codes. With your scanner do the quick test it will give you the option to clear codes clear them and after go out to your battery disconnect both cables and clamp them together, while there clamped together cycle your key through all position if you have push button push the button and hold it for a few seconds, then go back out to battery unclamp the cables from each other make sure that you have rubbed them and they have made good contact now seperate and hook the positive up first.

And then after that start car and turn ac on if it is not cooling send me a pic of all data in the module it could be called climate control, or HVAC . What we want to see is the temperature inside, outside, evap temp the request for compressor compressor status all of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reggie, we are in a heat wave out here in California. I drive 1 hr each way to work, so I need to get my AC working. Please help asap. Thanks! Dan

sir been on lake i got you today we do something thank for patience

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reggie, did you view the 3 attachments I sent yesterday? Was this helpful, in terms of helping you with your diagnosis?

Is that all the data in the module

It looks like your evap temp sensor is alot higher than normal, im going to get a location on that so you can go to it and test it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that was all the data in the AC module

How about codes any codes reset

Okay i have checked the information we want is split up some of it is in the engine control module, access it and look for compressor data you will see if it is requested and if it has been commanded on..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent codes in previous message. There didn't seem to be any major codes indicating an AC problem but you should go through them. I reset all the codes per your advice.

yes sir i just wondered if they had reset okay looking at your data i beleive your problem is going to be the evap temp sensor

• CONTACT REPAIR HOTLINE

• HOW TO USE DIRECT-HIT

• 1

LATEST UPDATES

• EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE

HOME

SEARCH FIXES

SERVICE MANUALS

MAINTENANCE

ESTIMATING

HOTLINE

MY SHOP

MY DIRECT-HIT

BOOKMARKS

Search

Information Available

Logout

Referral

New Vehicle

Can't Find Service Manual Info?

Post Fix

2012 Kia Optima LX 2.4L, L4, Gas, Asp N, VIN 7, GDI, USATom Beadel - Christian Brothers Automotive

Hotline Archive

With Service Manuals diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

Number:559484

Vehicle Application:

2012 Optima 2.0

2012 Optima 2.4

Customer Concern:The Air Conditioning (A/C) does not work. There are no codes. If we jump the relay, the compressor comes on and it cools. The blower works on all speeds.

Average Reported Mileage:91382

Tests/Procedures:1. Use a scan tool to check the A/C commands in the Engine Control Module (ECM) with the engine running, the blower motor on and the A/C switch on.

2. If it shows the A/C switch on, the A/C off and the relay off, test the evaporator temperature sensor.

3. Disconnect the control head. Backprobe and check the evaporator temperature sensor resistance. The specification is 27.6 kilo ohms at 32°F, 18.07 kilo ohms at 50°, 12.11 kilo ohms at 68°, 8.3 kilo ohms at 86°, and 5.8 kilo ohms at 104°F. If the evaporator temperature sensor is out of specification, it has likely failed.

4. Check connection at the sensor as well.

Author:

Potential Causes

Air Conditioner (A/C) Evaporator Temperature Sensor

Evaporator Temperature Sensor Wiring

Confirmed Fix Summary

Confirmed Fix

1 - Replaced Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor

1 - Replaced Air Conditioner (A/C) Evaporator Temperature Sensor

Confirmed Fix Details

TechReported Fix DetailsConfirmed Fix

1Charlie Alred
July 31, 20152012 Kia Optima, EX 2.4L, L4, Gas, Asp N, VIN 7, MFI, Theta II - PZEV, USA *
91,382 milesReplaced Air Conditioner (A/C) Evaporator Temperature Sensor

1CARMAX Technician
January 12, 20162013 Kia Optima, Sxl 2.0L, L4, Gas, Asp T, VIN 6, USA *
Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor

- replaced a/c compressor

Replaced Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor

- Confirmed Fix - Exact Vehicle Match- Confirmed Fix - Similar Vehicle Match*- Indicates a Similar Vehicle - Not an exact match to the vehicle selected

What Fixed It ?

Please describe what was done to fix the vehicle you were working on.
Example 1: Replaced fuel pump
Example 2: Cleaned Throttle Body

If the problem you were fixing is NOT the same as the problem described in the "Customer Concern" please use the Post Fix link to share your fix.

Still need help? Click here to access the Hotline Call Request Form to schedule a call from one of our Carline Specialists.

300 characters leftPosting Guidelines

Comments may be posted publicly with your username.

Identifix Service Manual Coverage Details New Vehicle Referral Help Logout FAQ Contact Us Privacy Policy Español Français

Copyright 2001 - 2016 Identifix, Inc. All rights reserved. Use of this online service is subject to Terms of Use

here is you a test procedure for that complete with location, but its not that much to just purchase there are alot of them replaced

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you saying I need to replace the compressor and evap temp sensor? Do I need to do any further diagnostics?

no just the evap temp sensor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will buy one and try it. I will get back to you after I have replaced this part.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this a part I can buy at an autoparts store?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is this sensor located? I cannot find it. Can you send a picture? Thanks Reggie
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic