Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Kia Optima: I have a 2014 kia optima lx I took it in because

Customer Question

I have a 2014 kia optima lx I took it in because the air bag light came on and stayed on,so the dealership service personnel told me they will run a diagnostic check on it to see why it was staying on the personnel also told me I had some software updates steering updates to also do.I was in dealership for bout 2-1/2hrs my car is starting & running fine at this point, I stop in to a Auto Zone then come back out start my car up put it in reverse then start out to end of driveway car cuts off be4 I hit the very busy intersection when I noticed the car cut out on me I did here something like a fuse blown so I checked fuses nothing found.my dash instrument lights some come on others don't noticed my sunroof don't wrk but fuse is ok radio not wrking I've tryed starting car starter turns car over no start has a strong turn over with starter just won't start like not getting fuel ps also my gauges on steering wheel air bag not wrking & other indicators don't come on be4 I try to start up ps the welcome comes on then says goodbye when I try to start it. Please help. Sean
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If you can I would ask the dealer what they updated or repaired on this here to see if this issue here is even related.There is a good chance it may be related and the dealer may have to reprogram or replace a component to correct this here.There is also a chance this is not related and may be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself as I have seen fail in the past needing replaced and can cause the type of sound/noise you heard as well here.This will have to be checked into further to locate and repair this issue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Pete I'm seeing u said something with the ecm does that have a fuse I can replace and can I take it to a certified kia shop that can correct this problem I also wanted u to know that the shift will not shift with the brake lever pushed in I had to take a clip out and push down to release the shifter. Also in the dash I wanted to mention that there was a little wheel that look like (O!)this was coming on be4 starting then goes out ps they told me the updates were software upgrades they said the radio & steering for inprovemnts. I'm rite here if u need any more help. Thanx. Sean
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Sean. If it was a fuse for the ecm the engine woudlnt run at all so I dont think this is the cause here. I have seen the electronic ignition switch fail before in the past needing replaced for this fault here so there is a good chance this may be the cause here.I would have this tested to see if it needs replaced.This will also cause the shifter issues you have here as voltage or signal loss occurs from this switch. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete