fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

Kia Sorento starts hard after you run it, it will start

Customer Question

Kia Sorento starts hard after you run it, it will start right after it is turned off, but if it cools off for 30 minutes it starts only after cranking for a while. It also starts right off when it is cold. Bill 2004 Kia Sorento
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The main issue is the hard starting after you run the car and after 15 or 20 minutes try to start it again, you have to crank for 10-15 seconds. When the motor is cold it will fire right off. I thought it was losing its prime but a new fuel pump didn't help. What is puzzling is the fact if it sets for a long enough time to cool off it fires right off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bill, my name is***** you for the question. This is almost always caused by a failure in the crank position sensor. This is the main sensor needed by the computer to determine fuel and ignition timing. If the signal is lost then the engine will not run. I typically watch the signal with a scan tool when the problem is occurring to see if that is the issue. If you do not have this capability then I would start by replacing this. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.