Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

2006 kia optima starts good no missing or stalling,if you

Customer Question

2006 kia optima starts good no missing or stalling,if you shut engine off and start it right awayit stalls rpm wont go over 2000, then you have to wait awhile and it runs great.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it seems like not enough fuel is going thru when it does that,it has a brand new fuel pump.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

Which engine do you have in this please?

Also, is this condition happening once the engine gets up to operating temp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cyl. yes it happens all the time no matter engine temp.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is the check engine light on when the car is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the symptoms sound like either a bad mass air flow sensor or a plugging catalytic converter.

I would start by unplugging the mass air flow sensor, then start the car and see if you can mimic the symptoms. If not, then the maf is the issue and it should be replaced.

If there isn't any change at all, then I would remove the top O2 sensor and start the car. It will be loud, but it's ok. We are looking to see if it runs better with the sensor out. This gives the exhaust a place to go if the converter is plugged or plugging up.

Try these and let me know.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Do you need further assistance with this?