Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2009 Spectra. It randomly won't start if it's under…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Spectra...
I have a 2009 Spectra. It randomly won't start if it's under 10 degrees. I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago, but it wouldn't start this morning, just clicked but nothing worked. I'm not sure what is going on, but have seen that this is a problem for other Kia owners. Any advice?
It worked great last year even with a worse/colder winter.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
3/2/2016
Kia Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

Do you know if there is power to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to start?

.

Have you tested the starter relay? (is there power to it)

.

I have no idea where either of those things are, so it's safe to say, "no". How do you test them?

I see, thanks. The starter relay is in the under hood fuse/relay panel, (see attached diagrams). The starter w/solenoid is at the back side of the engine, (on the side) and bolted to the trans.

.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

I'll bring it in to Advanced Auto and have them test them.

Not sure they do that but okay, thanks.

*** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE *****

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.