Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2011 Kia Sportage. Hot brakes, release pedal, annoying noise…

Customer Question
2011 Kia Sportage. Hot...

2011 Kia Sportage. Hot brakes, release pedal, annoying noise on rotation of front brakes. Hit the brakes, it stops

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Going down a steep grade, 15%. Riding the brake. Leave your foot off the brake on the flat and this God awful noise with every tire rotation. Soon as the cool, it's ok. Now it just keeps doing it. Sounds like something is rubbing

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Have you checked the thickness of the brake pads? Also, try using a screw driver to push back the dust shields behind the rotors and see if that helps it. It does sound like you probably have glazed rotors and pads that is probably causing your noise. The solution would be to either resurface or replace the rotors, and replace the brake pads. To prevent it from happening again don't ride the pedal the whole way down the hill, hit it for a few seconds and then let off for a few. This allows the brakes to stay at a lower temperature.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.

I had the rotors done and nothing. Where are dust shields? On the engine side of the calipers?
Sorry, rotors. Where abouts are they. I'm stupid with some of this.
Nevermind Andrew. I found a video on YouTube how to push the shield back and it's location.
Thanks for your input.
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok good luck, if you need pictures or anything just let me know.