fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

I have a Kia Sorento 2010 that's overheating, I'm thinking

Customer Question

I have a Kia Sorento 2010 that's overheating, I'm thinking the thermostat, so want to replace / check
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: So the Kia came back from the garage service, one item was the coolant. On a long trip after about an hour it started to overheat, when I checked the water at the radiator cap I couldn't see any water (having let it cool), We then put in about 3 litres of water.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have filled it up, checked for leaks, nothing visible / pouring out. squeezed hoses to get air out. But still having problems.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Kia Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. If the engine suddenly got hot then it may be the thermostat sticking. It is located in the housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine. The only thing that concerns me is that the fluid was low. If the fluid was not lost out of the reservoir when the engine got hot then it is losing coolant someplace. Most of the time this is caused by a water pump that is failing. If there is no external leak at all and it is still losing coolant then it may be a head gasket. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yes, plan to fix myself, there's no white grunge on the underside of the oil filler cap, so assume it's not a head gasket, and oil levels / quality look good.It probably did all come out of the reservoir overflow, just didn't personally see it happen. It's idling fine on the driveway, maintaining temp ok now it's full again, I do think sticking thermostat.Any diagrams you could send me? Thanks Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a procedure would be great.
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Let me see what kind of diagrams that I have for this vehicle. Keep in mind also that a head gasket issue doesn't typically show anything under the oil cap if it is a small issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, my thinking too,I think 1.5ltrs after a 30 minute trip is a big leak and if it was head gasket would be either emulsified in the oil or affecting performance.
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not have any diagrams for this. If the head gasket was slightly leaking you would not see anything, even in the exhaust.