Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Took my 2006 Kia Sedona in oil change. Oil light had NOT

Customer Question
Took my 2006 Kia Sedona...
Took my 2006 Kia Sedona in for an oil change. Oil light had NOT been on. They changed
every fluid possible. Cost over $400. Now my oil light will flash every once in a while
when I let off brake.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
2/28/2016
Kia Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

the oil light will flash if the oil level is low ?

so I'd 1st check the level on the engine oil dipstick and if thats OK then locate the oil pressure switch on the oil filter housing and check its wire connection and the wire running to it for any damage or corroded connections

if this is OK then consider replacing this switch

and if this doesn't help then plumb in an external pressure gauge at this point to measure the real oil pressure of the engine

As its intermittent and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

if this is all OK and the oil pressure is at least 1.3Bar ( 20psi) at hot idle then replace the switch

If you do have a low pressure reading and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

Kia Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy  replied 1 year ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you checked the oil level?

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer