Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2005 kia spectra ex, good battery, put in new alternater,

Customer Question
2005 kia spectra ex...

2005 kia spectra ex, good battery, put in new alternater, still not chargeing, took out had retested, alternater is good, new belt, used meter checked all fuses and grounds good, charging light on dash not on

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Battery is at 12.7, run it with no load goes down to where it will not restart with out a jump

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
2/28/2016
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Have you checked the 120A alternator fuse in the engine compartment fuse box?

i have It is good, I all ready said I checked all fuses and that is in the engine compartment fuse box, I need something better
need more help or want my money back,***@******.***, I have seen on-line several kia owners with same problem, no solution
Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** to see if large wire at alternator has battery voltage with vehicle off. Then check to see if small black/orange wire has voltage with key on. Let me know, thanks.

do not know colors of wires, but there is all ways power 12.4 same at battery, at the lone wire with nut connector, the plug in connector is a dual wire the bottom of the two plugging into alternateo also has 12.4 with key on and key off, nothing from top part of plug,
also as I stated previously, the charge light on dash does not come on with plug to alternator on or off, is there anything in system which would control alternator charging

Does charge light come on if you ground the small black/orange wire with key on?

still not sure which wire is which, took plug off, put clip on connector with no volts to ground, turned key on, still no light, but it drained my battery down to 9-volts, got charger on it now,
also have read on-line where remanufactored alts form parts store do not work, guy put in a new oem and it fixed the problem?

I agree, it is starting to sound like the aftermarket alternator is the problem but I'd like to make sure the charge indicator is working before recommending replacement again. Ground the small wire that has voltage, let me know if that turns on charge light. Thanks.

still no light, dont think it has been on for some time

Check to see if the 10 amp Cluster fuse on interior fuse box is blown. And check to see if removing fuse drops voltage on small wire. Let me know, thanks.

cluster fuse fine, but now no power to either side of plug, believe it happened the last test, when i went from the plug with 12 volts to ground, also checked both alt fuses in eng comp both still good

Does the 10 amp cluster fuse have power with key on?

there is, still no power either side of plug, is there some kind of board

I'm assuming you are checking small wire at alternator for power with key in on position? Thanks.

no power with key on or off, had power to one side of plug, till i did the test to ground

Look in fuse box and let me know if you can find the pre exciation resistor.

only one resister in fuse box in car, a yellow 3-prong

Is it labeled?

no
abp

Can you send me a picture of fuse box so I can see layout of resistor? I think resistor may be blown out if you are sure cluster fuse has power but not alternator.

I dont have a phone capable, it is just a 3-prong yellow enclosed resister, took out of fuse box, from single connecter to each of dual plugs in fuse box got .6 volts, with key on
got power back to one side of plug for alternator, burnt 10 amp ecu1 fuse in eng comp when you had me check it to ground, should i have power to both sides?
took rebuilt out, going to order oem, thanks for help
Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician