Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia: there

Customer Question
hi there...
hi there
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
2/26/2016
Kia Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin how can we help?

we have 2004 kia sorento, keeps saying misfire on 2 and 5, we have replaced, coils, o2 sensors, plug wires, crank sensor, cam sensor and throttle position sensor still gets error message do you know of anything else we have or can do?

I dont have info on this model il opt out another tech will assist

Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Hello, so you have replaced the cylinder 2 coil and plug wires correct? Have you checked the spark plugs at all?

new spark plus
all new coils, plugs, o2 sensors etc
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Alright. Is this a constant misfire on 2 and 5 or does it run good and just throw the code?

it is, runs good till engine lites come on, then it drops the cylinders, after you shut off the codes runs good again
when you start it, engine runs fine, when it warms up through the gears the engine lite comes on and it drops 2 and 5 cylinder, let up off the throttle and the lite goes out, but when you press the throttle again, lite comes back. we took it to the Kia Dealer and their system didn't figure it out either, they even moved the coil wires to a differnent cylinder and it still did the same thing
can this be the pcm or a bad wire?
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Hmm. It could be but if it was I would expect the issue to happen constantly. Let me do some research on Kia's information system and see if I can find anything.

ok, we really appreciate it
just fyi, this started after we replaced the crank and cam sensor
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Wow I am so glad you told me that. Did you have that done at the dealership?

no my husband did it, did he miss something?
he is a mechanic, used to build racecars back in the day! lol
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Oh awesome! Well tell him to check the timing first. Those engines are tricky to time. If the timing is ok get back to me and we'll go from there

he says the timing is ok, never took the timing belt off
we took it to the Kia dealer and they couldn't link it up to tell us what is wrong, they ran timing check and it was fine
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, they couldn't link up to the PCM?

nope
they also tries the corless one on the inside and that one would'nt link up either
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok unfortunately I think the only way to figure this one out would be to hook up the VMI (Vehicle Measurement Interface) which is a Kia special tool that is basically an oscilloscope and digital volt/ohm meter that you can hook up to the factory scan tool. You hook it up in line with the connector going to the cylinder 2 coil and monitor it while driving. This way you will be able to tell if the PCM is not signaling the coil to fire when the issue happens. If the PCM is dropping cylinder 2 for some reason cylinder 5 will go along with it because there is one coil for both cylinder 2 & 5. Doing this will eliminate any mechanical possibilities and basically tell you that it is an issue with the PCM. I just don't see another way of diagnosing this one. Hopefully the Kia dealer near you has a technician that knows how to use the VMI. Hopefully I at least gave you a path to go on, this is a tough one especially without the car in front of me.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.

ok, we will call the Kia dealer and find out thank you so much
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

No problem, good luck.