Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2013 Kia Sorento 2.4l no cracks in boot. P2187 lean code.

Customer Question
Engine stumbles and dies at...
2013 Kia Sorento 2.4l no cracks in boot. P2187 lean code. Engine stumbles and dies at initial acceleration.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
2/23/2016
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Is this a 2.4L MPI or GDI?

GDI
Don't tell me I paid $15 for someone to ask me another question
Hello?
I wish to speak with a different 'expert'.
I wish to complain that your services have been useless and I am getting my money back for this nonsense.
Kia Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you